16.9.12

A Gift from a Stranger


Strange things happen for some unexpected reasons. 


An old man in his 50's went towards me at the National Bookstore two days ago. He smiled coyly and asked me if I have ever read this book before [True Life in God]. 







He was unassuming. He looked professional in striped beige polo shirt tucked under a prim dungarees that most senior men wear. His ashen hair was far from empty though wrinkles turn up as he tried to open his mouth and explained to me how the book had amazingly "converted" his faith. That was the exact word he used. 


Those folds in his face however hinted me a contented man whose wisdom matured in the last 10 years. He gives me a quick look through the pages, which had me reassured is an action of a man who really knows what he is talking about. 


"To which Church do you belong sir, if you don't mind me asking?"


"I am a Roman Catholic" he said.


"I first came across this book in 1997 from a friend. It only stockpiled in my desk until six months later when I read it for the first time. Lord, why have I not read this book before? I muttered. This is a very good book. It is the type that will get you teary eyed-- perhaps out of guilt, or joy, or thankfulness. It feels like Jesus speaking straight to you. A real account".


"I can give this to you as a gift" he continues.


"No it's okay sir, thank you. I'll have it myself".


"No don't worry, I'll pay for it".


I took a sly smile. He went to the counter and paid for the book. The next thing I know was that I felt surprised. I was not sure if I made a seemly response. Tears (honestly) almost gathered in my bottom lids. It felt unusual but I did not think it was ever doubtful. 


"Why do you have to do this sir?" I asked.

"I just feel happy" he only puts it. 


His assuring smile greeted me for the last time. "Well thank you sir. God bless you" I replied and then he left.











Photo Credits:

google (dot) com (slash) images